WORK AND EXPERIENCE
- Freelance writer, fall 2003 to present (sole occupation fall 2008 to present)
Writing has been published in Science World, Rue Morgue, Current Health, Current Science, Psychology Today, and Discover magazines. Wrote three children’s books for publisher Gareth Stevens (two on high-tech careers, one on top video games, pub. 2009), and contributed to Addiction (2007), a book published by HBO and Melcher Media. Wrote video game reviews for CommonSenseMedia.com.
- Editor, Weekly Reader, spring 2007 to summer 2008
Edited WR Science, a monthly news magazine for kids in grades 3-5. Edited Science Spins, three monthly science newsletters for kids in elementary school.
- Associate Editor, Weekly Reader, spring 2005 to spring 2007
Wrote feature stories for Current Science, a news magazine for teenagers. Edited Science Spin Sr., a science news newsletter for elementary school students.
- Freelance fact checker, winter 2004 to spring 2005.
Fact-checked for Discover, On Earth, and Popular Science.
- Editorial intern, Scientific American, fall 2003
Edited section of the magazine. Wrote news items for magazine and web site.
- Editorial intern, Psychology Today, summer 2003
Duties included reporting, research, writing, and copy editing.
- Freelance medical writer, 2003
Ghost-wrote medical research articles and posters for medical communications company.
- Editorial assistant, Adelphi, Inc, spring 2001 to summer 2002
Copy editor, fact checker, writer for New York City medical communications company.
- Graduate research, University of Chicago, fall 1998 to spring 2001
Laboratory research on comparative developmental genetics in vertebrates. Lead author on chapter in book Genome Evolution (2003). Co-authored academic paper based on my graduate research.
Graduate School of Journalism
Master of Science—Journalism, 2003
University of Chicago
Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Master of Science—Evolutionary Biology, 2001
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Science—Biology, 1997